Brookwood Christian is a private, non-profit school that serves students who have not been successful in public or private schools due to their unique learning needs. Many of our students are diagnosed with a language based learning disability such as dyslexia. We are one of the few schools serving dyslexic students in the metro Atlanta area, and one of only 2 that serve high school students.
Ms. Kim’s Story
“I have always been an educator since graduating from college in 1989. I had three degrees in education by the time my daughter was diagnosed with dyslexia, and I had no idea what to do for her. I started to network, read, ask questions, study… anything I could do that would help my daughter learn to read. She was a good sport as I drove her from appointment to appointment day by day.
“Private school, a resource teacher, tutoring, vision therapy, and occupational therapy was going to cost $40,000 per year. I couldn’t afford that, and she couldn’t learn without it! I realized I didn’t have the training to help her, but I could get it. We started to homeschool in November of her 2nd grade year. Within a week I was homeschooling 5 students around my kitchen table (which is now my desk at school).
“In 2004 I had 18 students, so I took out a loan for $50,000, hired help, and rented a room from a church. In 2007 we outgrew that property. Brookwood Christian School became incorporated, and we bought our own property.
“There is such a need in the community for kids who learn differently. In 2018 we added an additional building to serve more students.”
Kim Wigington, Principal
About Our School
Our curriculum is specialized and tailored for students with language based learning disabilities. We are a full time school offering all subjects:
- with class sizes of 7 or less.
- using research based curriculum and methods such as Wilson Reading and Fast ForWord programs for students with Dyslexia.
- fully accredited by Georgia Accrediting Commission for grades 1 – 12.
- following the Georgia Department of Education guidelines for College Prep and Tech Prep diplomas.
- Tutoring services are available – click here.
- If you have had an IEP in a Georgia public school for 1 year you may have a scholarship:
- We also participate in the Georgia Tax Credit Scholarship
Located at 4728 Wood Street, Acworth, GA 30101
at corner of North Main St. near Hwy 92, just under the overpass