LD and Dyslexia School in Acworth, GA
“I have always been an educator since graduating from college in 1989. I had three degrees in education by the time my daughter was diagnosed with #dyslexia, and I had no idea what to do for her. I started to network, read, ask questions, study… anything I could do that would help my daughter learn to read. She was a good sport as I drove her from appointment to appointment day by day.
“Private school, a resource teacher, tutoring, vision therapy, and occupational therapy was going to cost $40,000 per year. I couldn’t afford that, and she couldn’t learn without it! I realized I didn’t have the training to help her, but I could get it. We started to homeschool in November of her 2nd grade year. Within a week I was homeschooling 5 students around my kitchen table (which is now my desk at school).
“In 2004 I had 18 students, so I took out a loan for $50,000, hired help, and rented a room from a church. In 2007 we outgrew that property. Brookwood Christian School became incorporated, and we bought our own property. Today BCS has outgrown our space again!
“There is such a need in the community for kids who learn differently. In 2018 we added an additional building to serve more students.”-Kim Wigington, Headmaster
Brookwood Christian is a private, non-profit school that serves students who have not been successful in public or private schools due to their unique learning needs. Many of our students are diagnosed with a language based learning disability such as dyslexia. Students typically have an average to above average IQ accompanied with various individual or multiple learning disorders. Our curriculum is specialized and tailored to compensate for or overcome these learning disorders. It is one of the few schools serving dyslexic students in the metro Atlanta area. Our class sizes are 7 or less, which allows for customized instruction for each student.We are a full time school offering all subjects. All curriculum and methods are research based. Wilson Reading and Fast ForWord programs are used for students with Dyslexia. We offer College Prep and Tech Prep programs.
Specializing in language based learning disabilities
- Class sizes of 7 or less.
- Full time school offering all subjects.
- Research based curriculum and methods.
- Wilson Reading and Fast Forword programs are used for students with Dyslexia.
- Accredited by Georgia Accrediting Commission
- 1st through 12th grade classes specializing in Language Based Learning Differences including Dyslexia
- We follow the Georgia Department of Education guidelines for College Prep and Tech Prep diplomas.
- Tutoring services are available – click here.
- Located at 4728 Wood Street, Acworth, GA 30101 (at corner of North Main St. near Hwy 92) Click for MAP
Call 678-401-5855 or email If you have had an IEP in a Georgia public school for 1 year, and enroll by September 15, you have a scholarship!
- To find out scholarship amount: Georgia Special Needs Scholarship – SB10
- For information on Georgia Tax Credit Scholarship
We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit: TAX ID [EIN]: 20-8499098
Text GIVE to 404-491-7724 or Click HERE to make a donation